Saturday, August 23, 2014

Practice Blog Post

Outline: Name and reason why
Places I have traveled
Passions
USA is home
Family
Wintzell's
Teaching was always what I wanted to do
Love to learn

To begin with, my name is Logan Taylor Alvarez. As a child, I constantly asked my parents if I could change my name because the kids at school considered Logan a "boy's" name. Now I am way more appreciative of my name and the meaning behind it. My mother was unable to conceive for a long time and after a while my parents gave up. Eventually, my father was working for a company called Logan Aluminum in Logan County, Kentucky where my mother found out she was going to have me. The name, Logan, seemed right and that is how I became who I am. Now, I am a twenty-one year old woman attending the University of South Alabama while working at Wintzell's Oyster House. I have worked at Wintzell's for three years and have moved up from hostess to hourly manager. As you can tell, my passion for learning and obtaining new skills does not stop. When I am not working or focusing on school, I love to travel.

Recently I took a two week trip to Israel. The trip to Israel really opened my eyes to other cultures. If given the chance to go back to Israel, I would. Also, I got to visit California for a week this summer. San Francisco will be my new home one day. I absolutely loved the area and how much history California has to offer. I have lived in the Mobile Area since I was five years old and I have always enjoyed living by the beaches, the seafood, and the southern hospitality. Besides traveling, I like to paint and read. I have so many passions I'd like to pursue. For example, I would like to learn how to make pottery, learn how to knit, and also learn karate. I feel like learning should never stop. Without my parents I would not have this urge to learn more. Also, my stepfather, Jim, has helped shape me into a young adult. Another person that has had a great impact on my life is my boyfriend, Ethan Hadley. I have known Ethan for six years and he has always supported my dream of being a teacher.
This is my mom, stepdad, and me in Israel.

One reason I decided to enter the field of education is because teaching has always been my dream. Even since I was old enough for adults to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I have said a teacher. Once I became old enough to understand what it means to be an educator, I knew how important and what a great honor it is to teach others. I feel like in the 21st century, a teacher's role is to provide students with more information on how to use technology. Technology is already incorporated in everyday life and jobs. Teachers of course should show students compassion and patience. An educator listens and gives advice when needed. I hope that my students will feel like they can approach me with any issues.

I am looking forward to learning more about becoming the best teacher I can be and how to incorporate technology in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment